Monday, August 15, 2005

What Is (Y)Our Motivation?

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
--Matthew 6:21

Motivation
------ fakin' only gonna inspire (Motivation)
All yo hatin' is fuel to my fire (It's motivation)
------ plottin' on the crown soft droppin' (It's motivation)
Hey but I ain't slowin' down and I ain't stoppin' (Motivation)
Now ----- don't stop my show (Motivation)
You ain't know I don't stop, I go (It's motivation)
Sucka ------ can't make me suffer
Just make me stronger and make me tougher (It's motivation)
--Chorus from T.I.’s ‘Motivation’

Hello all,

Wow, now there’s a controversial way to start out a blog!! I’m sure the lot of you will leave comments wondering how I could start out a blog with a Biblical scripture, as well as a hook from a popular rap song. Well, it’s funny that I would open up today’s blog as such, because our motivation, or motivating factors that drive us vary from the moral to the downright obscene at times…and today, that amongst other things dealing with motivation are going to precede today’s blog topic, that of course will be addressed on tomorrow.

First things first, I suppose I should tell you all what motivates me, and what motivates me to do this site. Cynics will say that those very ideas were presented in posts one and two, but forget ya’ll. I’m never ashamed to say that this site is ultimately directed by my faith in Christ, and that he died for us. This site is also directed by a desire to be relevant, to present topics that deal with real-world issues. Some associate real-world issues with the war in Iraq, high gas prices, lack of education, etc. At times, however, our personal lives, and this site in turn will address more personal matters, such as what motivates us, and other topics of more social/personal concern. (And we’ll do our best here to not conjure images of past Geraldo or Ricki Lake.) At any rate, because of our desire to be relevant, as well as versatile, we’ll be addressing general, world-based topics, as well as things that might hit a little closer to home. So keep us in your favorite places, no doubt.

A friend and I were talking about M-A-dollar sign-E last night, that’s right, Rap’s Mister Rogers Ma$e. Most of you recall that Ma$e, nee Mason Betha, took a hiatus from rap to take up the ministry, actually going on to lead a nondenominational congregation called S.A.N.E. Church in Atlanta, where he serves as head pastor.

Ma$e’s return to hip-hop/rap was interesting enough, and his return single ‘Welcome Back’ inspired hip-hop and contemporary gospel enthusiasts alike. It seemed at the time that Ma$e’s intention to bridge the gap between the two forms of music was a genuine goal of his. In talking to this friend, and through research of my own, it seems that Ma$e is in talks with joining G-Unit, certainly a group that represents anti-Christian ideals such as materialism and violence. My viewpoint on what may be Betha’s decision to join G-Unit isn’t a judgmental one; rather, I’m simply asking whether his motivation is to advance the kingdom of God or to advance the lining of his pockets.

Ultimately, I feel that everyone’s motivation is to be fruitful, to be successful. The measures of that success, and how we strive for that success is the question I present to everyone today:

Is it faith, is it money, or is it just maintaining that sustains us? In essence, what is your motivation? And do you feel that your motivation is morally sound?

Again, I’ll post a response to this topic on tomorrow. In addition, I’ll post what I feel our motivation is, rather has been presented to us as African-Americans, and as Americans. In fact, I feel that it is such misguided motivation that has African-Americans, no, Americans, in such precarious straits. Oh yeah, and maybe I’ll get to why I started out the blog with St. Matthew, and T.I., of all people. I love you all and can’t wait to hear from you, and for you all to see my response. Take care and be blessed.

The Good Doctor

Thanks to Christianitytoday.com and ChristianMusic.com for information on Mason Betha. Show your love for the B.L.O.G. by posting comments here, or by leaving e-mails at blackloveonegrowth@yahoo.com. Anonymous comments aren’t appreciated here, leave a name so we know whom you are. Thanks and I love you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home