Sunday, January 27, 2008

Makin' My Peace

Therefore, being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. – Romans 5:1

This two-part blog starts with a realization I had recently had at work:

Some people only care about control … rather, a system that creates control instead of production.

This realization might shake some people that work a 9 to 5, folks that expect to be rewarded for their good works.
I realized something at that point, though; for starters, those of us who profess to be living under the pretenses of a higher power shouldn’t be looking for such rewards; another thing is that we spend so much time fighting a system, the man, which really isn’t efficient in its own right.
And efficiency is something I strive for ... as I told a friend, it's about advancing past such systems ... not fighting them.

I just didn’t know how to address it in my mind, I guess, but efficiency is the word. To get the most out of my labor, and not only that, I guess, but to be proficient in the same stroke.
For a while, I wasn’t doing that; addressing the system temporarily took me away from that goal. However, it’s easier to make my peace, because doing so…

-- Eliminates uncertainty, which in turn eliminates fear;

-- Allows me to focus, which allows me to finish tasks (flawlessly, oh that was a tad cocky, ha ha).

The plot thickens still though, because I’m human, and because sometimes situations arise even when your productivity isn’t the real question.

This is where, as a friend of mine addressed once, the matter of picking your battles arises.

From there, I think the issue is simple still; control what you can, don’t worry about the things you can’t.

Hmmmmm. That felt pretty good … like going to church Sunday did. Things make so much sense when I go to church; a few of my friends say the same thing. It’s a wonder, then, that our busy lives keep us from cultivating the church within us … my pastor was talking something good …

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. – Romans 12:1.

Our bodies are the temples, was his contention; the church isn’t so much an edifice as it is a place of congregation. The real church is inside each and every believer, if we allow it to be.

ARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHH that’s tough, but at least you guys know where my focus is … on trying to get better each day and keeping my eye on the things that are really important.

Shoot, that’s enough blog right there, but since I love ya’ll, I’m flippin’ today’s record on the Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide…

My vinyl’s scratched
I found the needle in the haystack
The diamond in the rough
Needs some polish, a little buff
But when the lyrics are released into the air
It’s a feeling so rare
Pollination is the purpose
We’ve reached the B-side’s surface


Two weekend occurrences piqued my interest; one more so than the other. Forgive my priorities in advance.

Tiger Woods! Barack Obama! In that order.

Tiger Woods took the controversy from the Kelly Tilghman/Golfweek ‘noose’ cover and displaced it … rather turned that energy into a virtuoso performance at the Buick Invitational.

A lot’s been said about what Tiger should or shouldn’t be doing as far as addressing the racially-charged situation; personally, I don’t think anyone has the right to impress those thoughts upon Tiger.

We can’t make him be a Malcolm X; let’s take it to transcendant athletes, we can’t make him be Muhammad Ali or Arthur Ashe. Would it be nice? Sure. The thing is, we look for celebs to speak out on issues that happen to everyday people. Are ‘regular people’ and their testimonies any less important because they’re not famous? Didn’t think so … MESSAGE!

Obama was in my native South Carolina beating the brakes off of fellow Democratic candidates Hillary Clinton and John Edwards in the S.C. primary; his spirited post-victory speech made me smile and brought about great cynicism from my colleagues.

It’s still too early to determine a lot of things; one thing that was encouraging was the voter turnout; if those same (regular) people come out in droves post-2008 to turn this country around, it would be … truly phenomenal.

I haven’t decided on a candidate yet, to be honest; goodness knows I’m tired of voting for the lesser of evils. I just hope, well … I dream.

Still dreamin’…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home