Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Celebrating Life

To be real, it’s getting harder and harder to adhere to the title of this post with everything that’s going on in life…

The day-by-day hustle. The increasingly despondent news we hear about on a daily basis…

And that’s before two situations hit me especially close to home.

1) The passing of my cousin and great aunt in about a week’s time, with word that my other great aunt might be on her death bed. It’s bad enough losing loved ones, but losing loved ones around the holidays … I mean, think about the good times that are generally associated with Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. … then think of losing someone during that time. I promise you that the same joy you would feel during those times is replaced exponentially with pain during those times.

I’ve witnessed this first-hand … my grandfather – mom’s dad – passed when I was a second-grader around Christmas time; that side of the family hasn’t been the same since. It was tough enough that he was the rock of the family – you know there are certain people in your family that make the most sacrifices, the family recognizes it, he/she means so much, so and and so forth … then you lose that person, and sometimes it’s not that there’s anyone to fill that space…

It’s a matter of whether they can, or even worse off, want to fill that space. That’s hard to deal with.

2) The passing of Sean Taylor. Taylor was a free safety for the Redskins that died of a gunshot wound after he defended his home during a robbery. The reason why he was home and not with the team was because he was nursing an injury … just an odd and senseless situation all-around.

Aside from the fact that it was a heavy blow just as a sports fan, it was doubly bad because he was born the same year as I was, heck, he’s 24, the same age I am.

Wrote a poem about my thoughts on the situation … if you would like to read it or see it on the B.L.O.G., just let me know and I’ll address the comment(s) accordingly.

Anyway, the best way that I’m trying to deal with those situations is just acknowledging the situation for what it is … which is tough when you’re talking about loved ones.

The thing is, I’m also realizing that as human beings, I think we put a lot more emphasis on our suffering than our success, which is something that I’m trying to change for myself.

Honestly, I believe for the losses that I might suffer on a professional and a personal level, I have to say that God’s blessing me sufficiently more than he might be taking things away … and his taking things away might serve as a blessing in the end, anyway.

Now, it’s just a matter of celebrating life for what it is … or as I’ve put it recently … writing the past as a pastime, and celebrating the present as it’s presented.

The joy of being a Christian comes in the fact that I believe that we’ve defeated death because of the past sacrifices made, which should be something that all Christians should be appreciative of every day. In turn, that means that since we shouldn’t be held back by the fears of this life, we should live confidently and boldly in the good times and bad…

A little Ecclesiastes here, a little Frankie Beverly and Maze “Joy and Pain” there …

--The Good Doctor

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please know that your family is in my thoughts and prayers right now. I'm certain alot of positivity and love are being sent your family's way.

As for Mr. Taylor, I'd also like to hear your thoughts and see what you've written.

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind words, lifeline. I will post my poem on Sean Taylor on the B.L.O.G. very soon.

Merry Christmas!

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home