Thursday, January 31, 2008

Stupid Is...

(...As stupid does? Maybe, but that’s not my point right now…)

Stupid is a matter of perception, methinks.

My contention is that people are fearful of what they don’t understand, and that fear … well, sometimes it can make them stupid.

Now, that’s not to say fear is a bad thing … sometimes, fear can be a good thing, a barrier that keeps one from doing something … you guessed it, stupid.

Again, a matter of perception.

Well, here’s what my four eyes see:

--First off, I was tempted (ironically enough) to use Matthew 7:13-14 as an illustration; then thought better off because the verses more of how difficult it is to find the way to heaven as opposed to it being an unorthodox endeavor.

That still didn’t keep me from telling my Bible Study class Wednesday to be Christ-like, even if it means going against conventional wisdom.

The lesson was originally designed around David’s asking for forgiveness in Psalm 51 and scriptures about the heart through the book of Matthew, but for some reason or another, I got into a point with them about working for oneself and for his/her family instead of working for/under someone else.

Not a new point brought here to the blog, but it also brought me to the problem of parenting sometimes:

I heard a 12, 13-year-old kid tell me about how he goes to bed whenever he wants to; about how most of the time he’ll wake up at 2 (a.m.) and kind of make his way to sleep.

After hearing that, my logic shifted on how homes with one (or two parents) still falter at times because the adults are always at work, and kids are raising themselves. This is a trend that continues because those same parents will teach kids to work for someone else instead of working toward an existence where they might be financially secure AND able to spend the bulk of their time with their families.

An idealist’s view?

Again, a matter of perception.

All I know is … 12-year-olds have always been precocious. It’s just a matter of what direction they’re given…

Luke 2
42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up according to custom; 43 and when the feast was ended, as they were returning, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem. His parents did not know it, 44 but supposing him to be in the company they went a day's journey, and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintances; 45 and when they did not find him, they returned to Jerusalem, seeking him. 46 After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions; 47 and all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48 And when they saw him they were astonished; and his mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us so? Behold, your father and I have been looking for you anxiously." 49 And he said to them, "How is it that you sought me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?" 50 And they did not understand the saying which he spoke to them. 51 And he went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart. 52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature, and in favor with God and man.

Peace.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shug said...

I'm gonna need for you to write a new post mister

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home