Thursday, February 23, 2006

Lucky Day

Lucky Day
not the Axe body spray
But because I woke up today
Instead of fading away
Today is my lucky day...

“Now that I’m eight, does that mean I can go bowling late at night with you (all)?”
--kid brother, on his eighth birthday

Hey everybody,

Been so long since we talked, but…and I’m sure you guys can relate to this, a brotha’s been busy. Not so busy though, that I should neglect the folks that are in my corner (no jabs to anyone, so put your guard back down for a little bit :-D ). Well, enough small talk…I wanted to tell you guys about some days in my immediate memory that were pretty enjoyable, like…

February 12th-13th

February 12th…a Saturday, I believe…it was a real interesting day. I was feeling down for some reason, likely just getting bogged down in the triteness of day-to-day monotony. What brought me out of the funk, was something really small when I think about it, but it was a pair of Jordans. Not just any pair, but this pair:

The thing about it was this current pair of Jordans happened to be sitting in the bottom of my closet at Dad’s house, and I actually didn’t have any ’kick-it’ shoes to hang around in…as they were all at the apartment. This unique turn of events threw me into a pool of thought. For one thing, it’s funny how the little things we do/we like can take us out of a funk, or make us feel exceedingly important. For the fellas, seems simple enough, a haircut, pair of J’s, classic joint on the radio. Ladies, you know the drill…getcha hair done, nails done, good day of shopping, a kind word or few. Everybody has their something, and I laugh at it sometimes, because no matter how advanced we get in our thinking, how much we overanalyze our existence sometimes, all of us are surprisingly susceptible to little things that trigger fond memories that we have. Guess that why folks keep teddy bears, notes, and in my case, a certain comic book box that happens to keep growing…

Anyway, this little event, in conjunction with the fact that my kid brother's birthday is on February 13th, also kinda took me back to moments with the youngest brother of our clan. Aside from the fact that he was dropping off golden nuggets that kids turning eight often do…you know, things like ‘yeah, I’m going to run 10 times faster when I turn eight’…you know things like that. Things that, again, take us back to the park shooting hoops, double-dutchin, pushing that cute girl in the swing (got you Jig), those type memories.

Well, to bring the two things to a point, Denzel was born on February 13, 1998. The day of his actual birth is relatively fuzzy to me, especially since we weren’t in the room with Mom at the time of conception. Matter of fact, J and I were walking back into the lobby of the hospital…and a certain role model of mine just happened to be on TV. That’s right, Michael Jeffrey Jordan was in a game against the Atlanta Hawks. We walk in to see MJ making a move against Steve Smith, game tied at 110. MJ makes a move, shoots a jumper, money. Then, like clockwork, we turn around, and there Mom is with Denzel in her arms. And at the time, I really didn’t get it, but I suppose that if we tend to look at the little things in conjunction with things that make a big difference, then it allows the journey to be much sweeter. That, and you’ll find that the little things tend to be candles lighting the way to what God had planned all along.

Well, 8 years later, kid brother takes some bites from a Spider-Man cake (don’t know where he got the love for Spidey from), we enjoy life, play around, and that’s February 13th. And for what it’s worth, I was the luckiest guy on Earth for 48 hours.

Friday, February 24th

Went by Jig’s house, and he wasn’t there, so younger brother and I went to hang out a few places. Yep, you guess it, more quality time to spend with kid brother. Went to this pizza place that’s similar to Momo’s in Tallahassee (yep, the pizza place that makes the 20, 28-inch pizzas) and pretty much stuffed ourselves. Laughed it up, went to a nearby Borders and listened to some music, put him on to some old stuff, while relaxing myself with the sounds of Roberta Flack (she’s got a hot new ‘Best Of’CD out right now), the new Floetry CD, best of Isaac Hayes…you know, the good stuff. The day turned out pretty well, in addition, because I took time to budget out the days ahead, and addressed the little things that I could take care of so that the day as a whole would be affected. Hard as heck to do that with work and all, but there again, I guess I was a little lucky today.

The Good Doctor

Hey Snuggles, you posted a valid point under the comments of “Black History Revisited”, and I see you…will get to those ASAP. Well, hope to hear from everybody soon. Take it easy.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Good Doctor said...

For all you cynics that say 'Well, he posted on the 23rd, so how could he hang out with his brother on the 24th?'...the time of post is Pacific Time...therefore I was chronicling the day in review. Well, enjoy.

Kenton J. Makin

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really glad you weren't there at the time of D's conception. Really really glad.

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the same lane with your Borders' musical experience, I forgot to mention the "highlight" of Spike Lee's visit(to the U of R last night). While he was talking about Terrence Howard, he was joking about "Hustle & Flow." And a certain 3-6 song.

"How's it go? It's-it's hard out there for a pimp? *waiting for crowd's help* When you gotta get the money for the rent? Hoes try to flip?"

So he didn't truly know the lyrics, and nobody really spoke up. But it was truly a trip that we're trying to recite some Triple 6 at a Black History Month themed event.

And just in case you aren't aware that was the lighter side, Spike did go hard at rap. Gangsta rap in particular. He conveyed often that it is this specific genre he was speaking against(a point that most people will be sure to ignore as they recall the evening). But he said that he's done 20 films in 20 years, and that he evolved from "She's Gotta Have It" a long time ago. Meanwhile, cats are on their 4th album, still talking about bitches, hoes, rims, clothes.

It's too bad that people will incorrectly recall that 'Spike Lee hates all rap,' but the truth needed to be told, and I respect him for telling it.

One time for the 4 or 5 people whose wrap-up questions involved having Spike Lee help them get famous. Truly the essence of what this is all about.(that, folks, is sarcasm)

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home