Friday, October 20, 2006

My Past, My Future, and Charles Dickens

" . . .suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but - I hope - into a better shape."

"Now, I return to this young fellow. And the communication I have got to make is, that he has great expectations."

--excerpts from Charles Dickens' Great Expectations

My friends,

These quotes...man, they chronicle everything prior to before this moment and after this moment...

...With the moment being that my sports editor's last day is today.

And apparently, yours truly is to be, in name or otherwise, what Jordan was to Magic and Bird, and what !Kobe! was supposed to be to Mr. Jordan.

Dramatics aside, the first quote also represents the recent angst I've felt as a result of a lot of the people around me making the same mistakes they've made in the past, and trying my hardest not to be part of the majority.

It also represents the angst in having, well, great expectations.

Which brings me to the second quote. Now, as a few of you know, I am among (I don't have the exact number here) of Americans without a college degree. However, I find myself with the enviable task (*smile*) of filling in for our departed sports editor, whom, for what it's worth, I learned a lot from.

Should be fun.

Well...here's where I am...



Tired of watching the train go by, and if I'm going to hop on, might as well be the conductor...

The Good Doctor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home