Thursday, October 12, 2006

When Things are Looking Bleak



Dee dee doo dee, doodle lee dee…
Light, hey, the truth is the light, heh heh, it’s prophetic…
That’s the truth though, the truth is the light…
Bleek…saxophones…
John Coltrane…
Bip bop boop boo…
That’s some intricate (stuff) though…

--Bleek Gilliam, Mo Better Blues

Sheldon Jackson Lee.

Sheldon Jackson Lee was the absolute further thing away from my mind when I woke up Tuesday morning at 8:35 a.m., but…

I should’ve given it a little more time.

8:35 turned into noon faster than the big wheel on the Price is Right…

Noon turned to 4 p.m. faster than she turned on he or he turned on she on your favorite soap opera.

It was then that younger brother walked into the door, and I figured I should get up off the couch, which is where I’d been since…well, Bob Barker walked out of those double doors…maybe before that.

So, YB walks in the door, and he falls asleep too, ha ha ha ha ha ha…but eventually cats get up, and cats walked outside.

Well, that’s when I finally decided upon some errands, and decided to clean out my car and the room…

And YB is outside when I clean the car…

And we’re talking, just about life, and he says to me…

I feel like I should be doing something else…

Ton of bricks.

“I feel you, YB …you know what I do when I feel like that? I just do something constructive…”

“It’s like when (my mind’s jumbled) at night…I just try to get some rest and focus on the next day, instead of just sitting up and doing nothing.”

So I did that, washed some clothes, got a couple of things done.

Sprinkled among the day’s events, of course, were the concerns of my people.

Family and friends alike, and this is what gave the day that overcast feel.

An exam here, an issue here, the lone ray of sun that was a friend declaring her desire to be abstinent was quickly blotted out by someone not feeling their best; and not wanting to share what was the matter.

I respect that, but as a person deeply concerned with you all, the not knowing what is the heart of the matter brings on the blues.

And then came the night.

The night was nice, the wind was high and I went to see a friend of mine…

Yep, a friend.

To put it poetically, she had the heart of Indigo, and the figure of Clarke.

And they both had on the same red dress…

Well, a cute tee and some jogging pants; it’s all the same, really.

What happened, you ask?

Not too much, just a bunch of wandering and wondering, and helping her little sister with her homework…and fielding some questions from her mother like Ken Griffey Jr. in his prime…

------------------------
(The Good Doctor), are you single?

“Yes ma’am, I’m single…”

Ken, are you looking for a girlfriend?

“No, not really…”

Ok, I understand…
------------------------

It’s love though, even as Cinderella tells me she has to go to work early in the morning, and fittingly, the scene disappears before midnight…

Which leaves me with the wind and her scent…

And a good friend of mine.

So, I post at Jig’s, and he flips it to HBO.

What’s on TV, you ask?

Sheldon.

Jackson.

Lee.

Figured I’d wash down a day of adversity with a documentary about that hurricane.

“When the Levees Broke”, a cold, wry view of the events of Katrina, if I might say so, and a 4-hour (plus) documentary that was well worth the time spent, and the director?

Yep, good ol’ Spike.

And I looked over the day’s events, over successes and failures of myself and others, and really didn’t want to make this about my trumpet; my sound, but it’s all that some people think I hear.

Truthfully, I want to hear what you have to say though, even if it’s the blues, because for one, I like good music, and two, we can go find some sunshine together.

Take it easy,

The Good Doctor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home