Friday, November 21, 2008

“If I Were a Boy” (and other "Non-Ballads")

Ballad (n.) – 1. A simple song. 2. A narrative poem of strongly marked rhythm suitable for singing. 3. A slow, romantic dance song.

I was watching VH1 Soul recently – great station, for the most part – and the music channel aired the video for one of Beyonce’s new songs – “If I Were a Boy.”

The gist of the song/video is that Beyonce plays a perceived traditional role of a male who disregards his girlfriend’s concerns and feelings for him, feelings that lead to the male engaging in flirtatious activity with a co-worker and the like.

The climax of the video is where Beyonce, who plays the dominant role, says “It’s not like I’m sleeping with the boy or something,” a statement that is answered by a sudden pause. Then, the male in the video exclaims, “It’s not like I’m sleeping with the girl or something,” an act that designates the role reversal back to the perception that males seem to engage in relationships with a certain disregard – lack of deep emotional attachment, rather – for their partner’s feelings.

This video seems to strike a chord with females that I’ve encountered recently; some have offered that Beyonce has brought an unchecked topic in relationships to the light – that Beyonce has offered some measure of truth.

At the video’s end, though, I felt a deep-seeded emptiness. The emptiness wasn’t derived from some theory I’d gained via an argument left for a battle of the sexes; no, I just didn’t feel the love.

There’s that word again, the word that fills the acronym of this writer’s BLOG, a word that has been brought up so many times. A word that Musiq Soulchild once said we use in vain.

I am inclined to agree with the Philly-based crooner. Today’s love songs seem to be lacking the aforementioned ingredient; since we’re talking about Beyonce, it seems that her recent catalog of music has consisted of ‘party song’ followed by ‘boy-bashing song;’ songs such as “Single Ladies,” “If I Were a Boy” and “Irreplaceable” do little to disprove my point.

Some will offer that her songs are merely entertainment, a point well-taken. Others will offer that she’s only singing about things that periodically happen – YES! That’s the point – and the problem.

You guys know I have an old-school spirit; to say that doesn’t mean that my opinions are derived from unchanging traditions or from hypocritical standards. When I hear today’s songs along the chords that I’ve mentioned, it reminds me of the times we’re living in, and how frustrating it is at times when art imitates life.

To hear songs by Roberta Flack, by Jeffery Osborne, by Stevie Wonder makes me feel that I’m 20 years behind my time – like I should’ve been born when Soul Train really meant something. Or, to express my point, when soul music – or the ballad – meant something.

In my opinion, there’s a certain joy – almost unmatched – that comes with rediscovering good music. I see why oldheads keep records stashed away – it’s almost like getting a Christmas gift, wrapping it back up, then unwrapping it anytime you feel like you need a boost. That being said, you know that an artist is GREAT when you’re listening to a CD of a particular artist and there’s an abrupt pause – such as when you arrive at a destination or something comes up – and instead of succumbing to something simple as getting out of the car, you feel inclined to sit in the car and hear the song out. And hear the next song out.

That happened to me the other night with my Essential Isley Brothers CD (great Christmas gift, for anyone looking to get a jump on holiday shopping). It’s a two-CD set, which was nothing good for someone like myself. Let’s just say I was in the car for a while with a lineup that included “Brown-Eyed Girl,” “For the Love of You (Parts 1 and 2),” and “Groove With You;” then I moved ahead and listened to “Summer Breeze” and “Make Me Say It Again Girl (Parts 1 and 2).”

I would and could express how I feel when I hear the lyrics of the likes of the aforementioned artists, but I’ll simply say that you can feel the love that emits from their souls; the sense of urgency and longing that comes from such records. It’s a true emotion that, despite the times we live in, I hope never becomes antiquated.

***

My girlfriend and I recently enjoyed each other’s company at an antique shop – where I happened to glance across a collection of old records. Among those records were the two that I featured in the previous blog – the Roberta Flack and Kool and the Gang offerings.
The titles of the LPs speak for themselves, but I couldn’t help but embrace the irony of two people aspiring to share a timeless relationship in a place that engages and encourages timelessness.

Needless to say, she loves antiques. Maybe there’s a place for an oldhead like me yet ;-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Chocolatte said...

So I read this in class. And then I read this again when I got home. Despite the onslaught of parasitology lab, it woke me up. Honestly, it made my day reading it :o) And yes ur right, music and so called "ballads" have changed over the times. The love does appear to be missing? I think I know where it is... I think u also know! ;o)

4:07 PM  
Blogger Mister Wilson said...

You have a nice blog, can you visit mine too? I am currently working on a story but it's not yet been published! I will publish it as soon as it is done. The story is about writers. here is the link http://intellectualopinions.blogspot.com/

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home