Friday, May 12, 2006

Cien Things to Help You See In :-)

Hey everybody,

By request, I drew up a 'quick' list of 100 things about myself. Hope you guys enjoy,

The Good Doctor

1. My middle name starts with J.
2. I have two younger brothers that I take pride in.
3. I was born at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Augusta, Ga…
4. In 1983 (I share a b-day with Penny Hardaway)
5. My parents have been divorced since Summer ‘02
6. Now here’s something interesting…July 17th was their anniversary
7. My youngest brother was born on Friday the 13th
8. My hobbies include hooping, Bible-reading, writing, and spending time with family and friends.
9. I take pride in the fact that I’m maintaining the goody-two-shoes trifecta; never smoked, never had a drink, and I’ve never had sex.
10. Oh, and I haven’t cursed since the 10th grade.
11. To my left sits my favorite number.
12. I stopped cursing because I heard something Lauryn Hill say about people sounding less intelligent when all they did was curse.
13. I have hitchhikers’ thumbs.
14. I’m nearsighted.
15. I enjoy the night a little bit more than I enjoy the day.
16. I wear socks all the time (except in the bathtub, c’mon folks)
17. I’ve worn glasses since the third grade.
18. I’m a very competitive person.
19. I’m a pretty confident person, as well.
20. I take pride in being a passionate person.
21. I’m also something of an optimist.
22. I guess that’s why I think all any situation needs is love and a little hard work.
23. The person that I feel most understands me is my Aunt Joyce…we both can be very meticulous.
24. The people that have sacrificed the most for me are my mom, dad, grandma and aunt. It seems all they do is sacrifice…
25. A lot of the reasons I do the things I do is so that their sacrifices aren’t in vain.
26. I’m not ticklish.
27. It’s not flirting if it’s just trying to be a charming gentleman, right? Ok, ok, maybe I like to flirt. Periodically. Next, dang it.
28. I enjoy rainy days (except when I just finished washing the car)
29. Speaking of cars, I own (well, kinda) a 2005 Kia Spectra5 hatchback
30. I have brown eyes
31. I don’t have any known allergies (though stupid people make me twitch)
32. I wear size 12 ½ shoes
33. My hat size is an astonishing 7 7/8
34. I’m 5’8”.
35. At heart, I’m the biggest kid.
36. That being said, there’s nothing more beautiful than the mind of a child.
37. I frequent toy stores…keeps me really young.
38. I’m an avid reader of Marvel Comics (all the X-Men and Spidey heads make noise)
39. I have some green 1-up dice sitting in my car right now, but…I still take Sonic over Mario.
40. My fave color is Carolina Blue
41. I really don’t have a favorite restaurant, but…
42. My favorite food (if you want to call it that) is Strawberry Fig Newtons, ha ha ha ha!
43. I really want to visit Cairo, Egypt.
44. The church I attend is Greater Young Zion Baptist Church in Augusta, GA.
45. I love God, but I still feel that I can get that much closer to Him.
46. I read my bible, but not as much as I think I should.
47. At my church, I teach bible study every Wednesday night at 7 p.m.
48. My favorite verse is Matthew 6:22
49. My best friend…well, one of my best friends is, funny enough, named Matthew.
50. I’m really, really into sports (the preceding was an understatement.)
51. I think nothing captures the human condition like sports, and the parallels between it and everyday life are astounding.
52. Still, there’s nothing I like more than being around family and friends, and I feel like I’m oriented in both.
53. I prefer a great pass over a great shot. I think that speaks to the fact that I like to give people my best, and that I appreciate the power of having a vision for my life.
54. My favorite athlete is Michael Jordan
55. My favorite sports team used to be the Chicago Bulls…now it’s the Carolina Panthers (’07 NFL champs)
56. The closest major sporting venue to my house is Augusta National, home of the Masters
57. I’m looking to work for the Associated Press as a sportswriter after graduating, and also write a few books.
58. The writers I’m most inspired by are Ralph Wiley and David (king of Israel, etc.)
59. My favorite magazines are ESPN, Slam, and Black Enterprise
60. My fave movies are Malcolm X, Mo Better Blues, Blazing Saddles, Willy Wonka (with Gene Wilder…Depp is a lame), and V for Vendetta.
61. Judging from the first two movies, you guys probably figured I’m a big Spike Lee fan.
62. I would really like it if they came out with a DVD for the Martin TV show. That’s one of my top 5 TV shows of all time.
63. My favorite? Yep, you guessed it…Sportscenter.
64. My fave TV show as a kid was Uncanny X-Men. (I missed a BUNCH of episodes because of youth choir practice, dang it!)
65. I’ve worked and/or interned for NASA, Radio Shack, Delta Airlines, and currently the (censored).
66. I’ve never worked at a fast food joint…I hear it’s the worst though
67. I graduated from Aiken High School in Aiken, SC
68. My high school is just across the street from where I currently work
69. My high school crush was a girl named Nikki. She wasn’t feeling me though, which was cool, because…
70. My high school sweetheart was a young lady named Kim.
71. She’s one of two people that I’ve ever felt a deep affinity for outside of my family.
72. I want to learn how to play the piano very badly.
73. I believe that true love is sacrifice.
74. I believe once I meet a significant other that believes the same, my search for that significant other will be complete.
75. Back to no. 9. A lot of folks tend to define me as being a good guy, which is mostly true. Thing is, I have desires like everyone else.
76. For example, I like, the way, you kiss me, when we’re playing the kissing game. (Hey, I like to kiss)
77. I think beauty is skin deep, but a girl that’s willing to listen and laugh has no excuse to be single. I’m right here, beautiful.
78. I enjoy the smell of something so much more than I enjoy the sight of something.
79. One of the things I like allows for me to enjoy smell and sight…I love candles.
80. I don’t think MLK or Malcolm, W.E.B. DuBois or Booker, nor Professor X or Magneto had it right. I think the answer comes with prayerful collaboration. That being said, I don’t mind a fight with a friend or friendly fire. As long as we’re both using rubber bullets.
81. Some of my favorite poems are Langston Hughes’ ‘A Dream Deferred’, and Gwen Brooks’ ‘We Real Cool’.
82. My favorite artists are old school cats: Earth, Wind, and Fire, Stevie Wonder, and the Isley Brothers.
83. My favorite love song, though, is Roberta Flack’s ‘Feel Like Making Love’
84. The only new jacks that I really like Outkast
85. I really hope music hasn’t lost its way, but I’m starting to have my doubts
86. I think Leela James was right. I think a change is gonna come, even if that change has to come from me.
87. I think that the song ‘Carolina Girls’ is dead wrong. I think the VA-DC-MD area has the best girls in the world…even though Southern Girl, here’s to you (Frankie Beverly and Maze)
88. The best time of my life was my freshman year at Florida A&M University
89. The most eye-opening moment in my life was orientation at FAMU
90. I want to settle down in either Charlotte, NC or the greater Atlanta, GA area.
91. I’d like for my kids to have either Biblical first names or African first names.
92. The reason why I don’t always follow through with my promises is not because I’m dishonest, but rather I’m overly ambitious at times.
93. I think if my drive matched the speed of my thoughts, I would be unstoppable
94. My first memory is my dad covering me up in a blanket, and running to take me to the babysitters’ house.
95. My eyes are my best physical feature
96. I think I have a pretty good sense of humor, but the funniest guy I know is my younger brother.
97. If I could, I would wear a jersey to church, work, everywhere
98. Still, I enjoy dressing up, and like the feeling that a suit and tie gives me.
99. I don’t consider myself a materialistic person.
100. When it’s all said and done, yes, I’d love to be remembered for the things I wrote. Most importantly, though, I want to be remembered for the contributions I made to society, and the lives that I helped changed through my words, especially if those words bring this world closer to God. Amen.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your list.

Great job! I think we could be friends, you are interesting..

Have a great day!

Ms. Tee
from Share My World Miami

4:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always a pleasure to type the URL.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! This list is great. You know which parts stuck out to me.


Angie

10:12 AM  
Blogger Shug said...

YAY!!! You finally finished the list. I really liked it. There's a lot I didn't know about you.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home