Saturday, May 13, 2006

Sundays in May

Hey everybody,

First off, I want to jump off this post by saying Happy Mother’s Day in advance to my mother, if you’re reading this ma, I love you!

Since she’s probably not though, and since she probably already knows, we got moms some perfume (Beautiful by Estee Lauder)

Oh yeah, here’s a poem I wrote about a year ago to all the mothers entitled "Sundays in May"…you guys check this one out:


To mothers, mommies, cousins, grannies
Guardian angels, aunties and nannies
Second Sunday
In may
Waking up at 5
Just before mother will arise
Usually I work from sun to sun
But today I am the one
Making breakfast
Preparing for church
The one to search
For dad’s socks
Putting sugar blocks
In tea
I know it sounds country
But I do it for mommy
Because from birth to birth
I never misunderstand the value of a woman’s worth
Not to place my mother in roles
Mothers are the soul
Of a family
Emotional ties are hard to deny
And that’s why
I write on Sundays in May
To my favorite lady
Who’s been taking care of me since I was a baby
And this year I decided to extend the gift
To mothers all over the world to close the rift
Just in case your loved ones were short on the paper stack
Or couldn’t find a nearby clothing rack
Making sure that the lovable poet has your back
House of cards are usually flimsy but this is a hallmark
To a mother’s love that feels like a day in the park


Hope you guys enjoyed that one. Truth is, I wanted to do this post to open up some discussion on mother-daughter relationship (by request) :-D Here’s what one of B.L.O.G.’s insightful readers said:

You should do a blog on mother-daughter relationships…(concerning) the struggle to find one’s identity when you have been raised by a strong, independent black woman. (It’s especially a struggle) when you greatly admire them and their opinion really matters to you. This causes problems because you make a lot of decisions (based) on what you think they will approve…until you (search) to gain some sort of independence.

That was just the tip of the iceberg for one of the readers, and hopefully the beginning of conversation. Ladies, I’m curious to receive some input on mother-daughter relationships, in the hopes of better understanding how certain relationships work.

The reader was inspired to start such conversation based on my ‘Fathers and Sons’ blog, and to be honest, it would be interesting to see how you guys (errr, ladies) respond. Hope to hear from you all soon,

The Good Doctor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home