Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Seven for 2007

Between watching Ohio State get pasted by UF and thinkin’ about life, I realized that I hadn’t had a serious sit-down with the B.L.O.G readers in sometime. So, let’s play catch-up with a little game I’m going to call seven for 2007:

1. It really doesn’t matter unless you have someone to share it with.

I probably got the least amount of gifts I’ve ever gotten for Christmas, but I can safely say this was a holiday season that I truly enjoyed, because I got to spend it with friends and family. I find that I do my most worrying in isolation, and for a person that prides himself on being a child of God, being concerned about little things shows that I don’t believe that God has everything taken care of. In turn, I spent a lot of time hanging out, just chillin’ with the fam, and seeing my brothers’ smiling faces. The things I did get and the times I did have, I enjoyed them that much more this holiday season because I had someone to share it with, and I’m convinced that my success in 2007 is going to come by sharing God’s wealth amongst optimistic family and friends.

2. Exert and exalt.

I really don’t get into the whole “New Year’s Resolutions” or all that jazz, but this is something that popped in my mind one day and I’m kind of feeling it.
The concept is self-explanatory; I mean, some folks say I’m one of the most energetic, hard-working cats I know, but honestly, I feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface. I really want to push that much harder in the immediate future, and follow that type of dedication with worship and praise in the hopes to maintain that level of excellence.

3. If God should enlarge my territory, hopefully, I won’t be too proud to put down bricks when he enlarges yours.

Yeah, I want to do big things, and yeah, I’m happy for you guys that are doing big things right now. Truth is, I feel like my success with coincide with my family and friends’ success, because whatever I have, they have. That might sound like BS to you, but then look at what Oprah’s doing and ask yourself is that still BS.

Actually, I’m saying this the wrong way.

I’m saying that when I get to ‘prominence’, it will be where God wants me to be as opposed to where I want to be, and I believe that folks will see my commitment to God instead of just me doing ‘my thing’.
Two of my college friends recently got married, and I believe the above statement to apply to them very well. In turn, another one of my college friends recently got a new job, and it comes on the heels of her wanting to change her life around on a spiritual level as opposed to a corporate level, and God bless her.

In the past, I would’ve closed this session with a “for those of you that are hating, go get a glass of water, drink it and get the ish out of your system,” instead, I believe that it’s far more important for us to work on loving each other.
4. God is more important than my recent love.

I had a conversation on Sunday evening, talking about everything sport, and I must say, the boi was eloquent. In turn, I was speaking to my Bible study class, and while getting my point across, was not nearly as eloquent. Were there differing factors? No question about it. At the same time, I feel in my heart that I’m putting way too much in my job and with my feelings about sports that I could be putting into my relationship with Christ.
(Man that was honest…good stopping point.)

5. The rain massages the brain, and there is power in the shower.

For those of you still reading, thanks. Hopefully no one thought statement No. 5 was too crazy, and I will explain.

I’m a peace-lovin’ brotha, and nothing relaxes me more than the sound of running water, or rain hitting the top of my crib…ok, you get the point. Where some people don’t like the rain, say it’s too soggy and all that, I love it. I mean, some people don’t like to drive in it, but I think the rain slows life down, and life slowing down for me is a blessing…sometimes I think things go by too fast (lots of grad school folks concur, I do believe…)

At any rate, I tend to write exceedingly well when it’s pourin’ down rain, and also think of my best ideas in the shower. My aunt and I had a convo about this once (my favorite aunt, by the way), and I’m curious to know who else thrives on such a flow.

In other words, folks, get out your umbrellas. For JP, and you other guys that appreciate the creative expressions, it’s going to be raining down concepts.

6. Happiness is a heck of a drug.

God is working here, and I’ll tell you why. I didn’t even think about this until I looked over at what number I gave this statement.

I’ll just say this. Baby, be happy.

That is all ;-)

7. Playoffs. PLAYOFFS?

I already said UF would beat the Buckeyes. Well, I said it at work, and any time I air out my picks in the paper or to a wide audience, they blow up in my face like Tony Romo’s hype machine. Anyway, here are my fearless picks for playoff weekend:

AFC championship game: Ravens – Chargers
NFC championship game: Saints – Seahawks
Saints – Ravens Super Bowl, and the Ravens will be your NFL champions.
I know, I know, I wasn’t supposed to end on sports. But after six strong statements, I had to take a breather.

Deities do it too ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home