Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Jig on Trial: The Cross X

Finally, finally...

Yes, I have gotten around to doing the cross-examination on the five songs that Jig's selected...

Hmmm, let's take a look here and see...
1) Anita Baker - Just Because
2) Luther Vandross - Here and Now
3) The Emotions - Don't Ask My Neighbors
4) New Edition - Can You Stand the Rain
5) Jagged Edge - What's It Like to Be In Love

Uh oh Jig, i'ma tell ya right now, you know it's going to be trouble on five.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere we goooooooooooooooo...

5 - Look at me...starting from five and heading to one...
Well, I personally think Jagged Edge's best song is 'Gotta Be', and the concept of the video didn't really motivate me to want to listen to the song, but Jig likes it.
Let's see here...let me check out the hook...
What's it like to be in love?
That's all I been thinking of
And I was just wondering, will love ever know me?
And my heart is open, and I've been hoping
To find what it is everybody keep on talking 'bout
Not bad, not bad at all...
To be honest, it's nice to see a guy keep the faith; not give up on love just because past relationships haven't gone the way he wanted them too. Big ups.

4 - This song reminds me of the second or third episode of Family Matters. I don't know why...maybe because every great R&B group of the late 80's-early 90's touched down on Urkelvision like it was American Bandstand or Soul Train. Anyway, Johnny Gill batting leadoff speaks for itself, followed by...

Well I need somebody/who will stand by me/for the good times and bad times she will always/be right by my side...

Ya'll better sing along...

Sunny Days, everybody loves them, but tell me baby, CAN-YOU-STAND-THE-RAIN
(can you stand it...i hear ya'll in the background!)

Hey, I mean, the truth is, storms will come, and this we know for sure. It's just a matter of whether you can roll(ing thunder) with the punches in a relationship.

3 - Man, Jig did the Castrol GTX thermal viscosity breakdown on this one. Don't know if there's much more I can say, but I'll try...
One of my pet peeves about relationships is that we always seek advice from other people instead of feeling our way through a situation. If your intentions are true, and if the love you have for a person is true, let it ride...see where it goes. No middleman necessary...and sometimes,

--you'll find I love you--

So no more asking neighbors. Please.

2 - All I'm saying is, if Jig didn't put a Luther song in here, I might have to re-evaluate my friendship with this cat...joking, of course.
What you have here is the ultimate ballad of dedication and commitment. (Dang, I liked that sentence...I'm stopping while I'm ahead.)
(No, I can't)...I'm actually going to try to compare this song with another famous wedding ballad...Freddie Jackson's "You Are My Lady". Actually, I can't...truth is, Freddie's title is a little more possessive, but it's all to the good because he's basically talking about how much his lady means to him. Luther goes beyond that, and not only says what his lady means to him, but also says what he's going to do in the relationship. That's Luther for you, always taking it to the next level.

1 - Because I really don't need a reason. I have to send this one out to everyone that asks 'why' in a relationship. Why ask why? Why not let words say what a touch can't convey, and why not let a touch prevail where words might fail? Why not let love be uninhibited and exhibited, why always try to find love's derivative? Why not stop asking questions because my answers are my actions, and why ask why? The fractured truth you receive is only a small fraction...
Eh. You guys see what I mean.
Something else...Anita Baker, Stephanie Mills...this is to you two...you guys are really slept on, and folks need to recognize.

Another slept-on pair...Floetry. If you don't know, DO PICK UP A COPY of Flo'ology...it's like spoken word and ballads all in one, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah boy.

Alright...don't say goodnight...when you know...I gotta have your love...(first person to comment with the artist gets mad props,)

The Good Doctor

Oh yeah, I'd like to thank everyone who sent in comments and e-mails with their favorite lyrics...it was fun and enjoyable, to say the least. Everybody continue to take care and enjoy the summer, yep yep...

1 Comments:

Blogger Shug said...

What you know bout them Isleys, man?!

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home