Friday, August 18, 2006

Turn the Lights On

Hey everybody,

I didn’t even have the jones at first.

Maybe it was the rigors of work, worrying about my fantasy baseball team, or making sure Team USA didn’t mess up the rotation during exhibition play.

Anyway, I didn’t even have the jones until a couple of minutes before I was scheduled to talk to Aiken High’s football coach.

That feeling, combined with pleasant memories of high school and pleasant memories of last football season just came at me all at once.

It was crazy…I was in a hallway with some lockers, and I started to catch a beat…just beating on the locker…real quiet, mind you…but I had IT.

Started flippin’ my pen like I was a FAMU drummer…had that feeling all over again.

If you’ll remember, the last mention of Aiken football came on a Black Friday, and ended with me dappin’ up and consolin’ then-sophomore Romon Williams.

(Disclaimer: To readers of this blog and the Aiken Standard…understand that my affinity for my alma mater in no way affects my work or interactions with football teams all over the area. Pick up a paper, man!)

Well…how things have changed.

Checked out Aiken’s football team, and talked to coach…and of course, all the coaches are going to have preseason humility…or as we call it ‘round here, playin’ possum.

Fast forward to the Aiken County Football Jamboree, which was last Friday, actually.

The Jamboree is an event that showcases eight of the local football teams, and it’s the event that annually breaks the high school football hiatus, so fans really enjoy it.

At any rate, the more things change, the more they stayed the same…a bunch of coaches, including South Aiken’s old coach, changed teams…it was more like an NFL offseason, without all the player changes.

Anyway, Cal played in the second quarter for South Aiken…and he’s a little more stoic than last year. Don’t know if that’s for better or for worse…but you’ll hear about it, to be sure.

But yeah, the Hornets. Coach Johnson had me thinking Aiken was going to lay an egg, or something like that against North Augusta, which is the old South Aiken coach’s (Pippin) new team…

Not a chance.

Man, fireworks…just fireworks. Romon scored twice, and the Hornets looked really nice on both sides of the ball, long story short.
That went well, but that was only one of the things going on this week.

Kid brother's been living it up this month, and I’ll have to talk to you guys about that sooner.

The Good Doctor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home