Saturday, September 02, 2006

Cover 2

*In football, the ‘cover two’ defense is a zone coverage with a pair of safeties playing deep and covering half the field each.*

Hello everyone,

Just thought I’d share with you what it is I do at the Aiken Standard during Football Friday night.

Actually…

Let me explain what I did LAST SEASON.

Last season, I would go to the games, stay in the press box, keep play-by-play and statistics. At halftime, I might take a few crowd shots…nothing more, nothing less.

This season?

I still do everything up top…but now, I’m on the field, pretty much serving as the photographer for whatever game I’m covering…and well, it’s a lot, especially trying to keep stats and all.

Well, for what it’s worth, it’s worked out pretty well for us…which brings us to the Cover 2.

Ever since I’ve worked at the standard, there’s pretty been a ‘free safety’ and a ‘strong safety’.

On Friday nights, the ‘free safety’ is yours truly, the guy who goes out and covers whatever needs to be covered, then come back to the office, and do whatever needs to be done there.

The ‘strong safety’ is the sports editor, who lays out pages, takes phone calls, and makes sure that everything gets to the back on the plates.

Folks ask is it a lot of work to do all of the things we do…of course it is, but to be honest, I enjoy it a bunch…and it’s always nice to see the results of a job well done.

And I’m certainly not saying we do everything by ourselves…I mean, there are a number of folks that make up the ‘zone coverage’. But when it comes down to it, the pair that makes sure everything goes well and that things don’t fall apart in sports…

Yep, you’re hearing from one-half of that cover two.

The Good Doctor

…Oh yeah, the sports editor is part of the prognosticating game that G and I are in…and well, he’s doing pretty good right now. All I’m going to say is…I really hope Miami beats Florida State…take care you guys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home