Thursday, August 31, 2006

Voyage to Atlantans, the Return of the Kia

Hello everyone,

(By the way, Imperial March is one of the best fight songs ever. It’s just a crunk song…hoping no one ever goes and samples it for some weak record, unless they do a really good job with it…as the light bulb goes off in Jermaine Dupri’s head. Dang it!!!!!!)

(Oh, what is Imperial March, someone just asked in the back. Well, Imperial March is the tune that Darth Vader marches out to in the Star Wars movies, and with that, all of my trilogy/Star Wars/ buzz has been killed. On with the story…)

…where were we…ahhh yes.

THE TRUCK HALTS.

It’s all good, though, truck starts back up and we get on our way.

Now, during the course of this 45-minute journey from…Lithonia, yeah, that’s where we were…Lithonia to Stone Mountain, I got to know a little bit about this guy Andre.

He was a cool enough guy, young brother, 26, dark-skinned with a scraggly beard. Figuring to pass the time, I asked him some things, like where he was from, how long he’d been with the towing service, things like that.

Well, ‘Dre was from the NC-VA area, moved down to the A looking for opportunity, and was ultimately looking to becoming a rapper.

Now, this is the part where everyone puts their head down, and is like NOT ANOTHER RAPPER. I used to be guilty of such an attitude, but as a writer, I believe I understand why so many brothers want to be rappers.

A lot of it has to do with the get-rich-quick desires of the world, and basically wanting to be famous. However, there was something different about ‘Dre and so many young brothers like him.

I think him, and myself included, just want to be heard…and that’s pretty much the only medium a lot of folks see as far as being heard…is rap. The truth is, and I never told this to ‘Dre for a lot of reasons, but there are so many forms of expression, so many ways to be heard, and you don’t necessarily have to be a rapper to express yourself.

At the same time, if you’re good, hey, do your thing.

Anyway, ‘Dre and I got to talkin’, he lit up a cigarette, so I’m figuring he was comfortable within the conversation and just talking things out…and then he also talked about wanting to go to a technical school, or a truck driving school, basically wanting to own his own business.

All of this, of course, deriving from the fact that he hates his current gig (who doesn’t, ha ha ha :- ) , and he also talked about wanting to find something other than his current occupation.

Like I said, we talked for what was seemingly forever (because, people, it was forever, but that‘s another matter), and then we finally got to the Kia dealership in Stone Mountain.

Got out the truck, thanked him for the lift, gave him dap…

And funny enough, some money appeared in his hand and a little glean in his eye.

“Keep your head up, mayne…” I told him as I dapped him again.

Got to Kia, and a wonderful young lady (of Ohioan descent [is that how you say it?] ) named Kim *smirk* let me know that everything was taken care of, and that it wouldn’t be that long of a wait.

Psyche!

Anybody that’s ever been to a car dealership/repair/service facility knoooooooooooooows that’s not how it’s going down, and the boi had to get real stern.

First of all, dude asks me “am I trying to keep the car at Kia overnight?”

Uhhhhh, no.

Next, they ask me what’s wrong with the car, like I haven’t told this story enough to win the Pulitzer.

So they go to work on the car, and I’m sitting there and sitting there…

For an hour. Then I ask Kim to go to the back and check on things…

And she does...

And then I’m sitting there and sitting there and sitting there.

Well, finally (ok, 2 hours) the car is fixed, but they tell me I have to pay.

Ummmm, you mean I have to pay for the negligence of a Kia worker? (nearly verbatim of mighty mighty mighty I)

Yeah, because it’s not our fault, you have to take that up with them (not their words, but mighty mighty mighty clooooooooooooooose)

So I paid (and please believe as soon as I got to the crib I got my money back), and went to pick up the fam, in a different direction that I did when ‘Dre was driving the truck…he kind of took us the long way. Like 15 minutes, but it all worked out for the best, true?

So I pick up the fam from the mall (at least they had fun), and head home…which was an assortment of daydreaming, fighting sleep, and enjoying the journey.

Hope you guys enjoyed it too.

The Good Doctor

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think my atlanta saga was better than yours.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well post some'n if you ain't scared, ashleyfamu.

Oh wait, that's right...you don't have...let me stop. Glad to see you back posting on the blizzle for shizzle. Take care now...

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home